- Leaving blank fields. Enter a '0' or 'NA' instead
- Using decimal points. Round to the nearest dollar
- Listing an incorrect Social Security or driver's license number. Triple-check these
- Failing to use your legal name. Avoid nicknames
- Listing incorrect marital status or failing to include the appropriate parents. If custodial parent is re-married, you will need to include your step-parent's information
- Failing to count yourself as a student
- Failing to count an unborn child. Number in household is for the upcoming school year, so, for example, if your mom is pregnant, she is counted a '2' people
- Forgetting to list the colleges you have applied to. Make sure the schools receive your information!
A WONDERFUL service is offered to Illinois students through the Illinois Student Assistance Commission. Our representative, Natalie Irwin, will schedule a meeting with parents and students who are filling out the FAFSA free of charge to answer any questions you may have. Contact your Guidance Counselor for more information.