1. Don't do it right before or after class. Teachers are usually rushing to set up a lesson, answer emails, or use the restroom during passing periods. Instead, send an email requesting a quick meeting at a time it is convenient for them. This could be before or after school, during a study hall, or possibly during your WIN period. Be sure to show up for the meeting.
2. Take ownership of your learning. Blaming the teacher or using your after school responsibilities as an excuse will not get you far.
3. Ask specific questions. "How do you recommend I study for the next test?" or "Can you help me understand where I went wrong on question 3?" are much better conversation starters than "I have no idea what I am doing."
4. Make a plan and follow up. Ask about options to make up past missing work or redo assignments. Apply teacher advice right away, show up on time, and pay attention in class so the teacher sees you are trying.
.jpg)